Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like all tool we all have our own favorite pocket knife. I have had a number of different makes over the years, of all sizes,shapes and prices. But as a daily carry I kept coming back to what I call your basic boyscout knife. The last 25 or so I have carried a Victorinox Swiss army "Tinker". Just a versatile, handy well built little knife With a 21/2" and 11/2" blades. And I have taken a lot of splinners out with the tweezers.

Vision care Automotive mirror Font Eyewear Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Used to carry a Buck 110. Broke the tip off once trying to pry open a can of poly. Reshaped it with my belt sander then broke the tip again trying to pry something else (I just never learn).
Started carrying an Old Timer clip point folder (about half the size of the Buck) a while ago. When I remember to put it in my pocket in the morning that is.
My only true EDC would be my little Buck keychain knife/bottle opener. Like this one but green. Well, it was green but it's 20 something years old and the paint has worn off.
Bicycle part Rim Font Circle Auto part
It has my truck keys on it.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
There are some Chinese knockoffs on the market with the same brand names as the popular brand knives, so we have to be careful not to get one of those. The knockoffs are much cheaper and not very good knives.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Some from India as well, minus the brand name. Can't recall where I bought it (I think it was a catalog), but after snapping the point on my Buck 110 I tried replacing it with what I thought was another one. Turns out it was a cheap copy with "India" stamped on it. It would barely hold an edge, and didn't have that sturdy "click" sound when you opened it and the blade locked in place.
That was what made me decide to just re-shape the old one.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
That is a really bad feeling when a blade snaps on our favorite knife. Several years back I found a great hiking stick that was twisted really beautifully. All I had with me was my favorite Case pocket knife that I kept razor sharp for whittling and wood carving. I started cutting the stick down and 3/4 of the way through, my best blade snapped completely off. I wouldn't have taken 30 sticks, like the one I was cutting, for the knife I had just ruined.

I did have other blades in the knife so I did finish cutting the stick, but I was just sick about my knife. I retired that one and bought the Real Tree Brand that I now carry. I just didn't like the Buck that I had for a carrier, because a really great friend had bought me the knife just before he died, so that knife will not see action while I am alive, I treasure it to much.

The new Tree Brand got broken in right. I had only had it for a few months when I tried to cut a grape vine that was about an inch or so thick. The knife slipped and opened up the side of my left forearm about 3 or 4 inches long. It didn't hurt because my knife was also razor sharp, but it took quite a few stitches to close. My wife threatened to take away all my sharp objects. lol

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I carry a Boker Tree Brand 5464 bone but want one of these:
keywords=folding%2Bcarving%2Bknife&qid=1641742247&sr=8-
Jim I have that Flexcut Jack. I would not buy it again. for me it is uncomfortable to hold for very long while carving.. The blades are good. But limited practical use on a stick carving. It is my fall back carver in the glovebox knife. Just my experience with the knife.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Jim I have that Flexcut Jack. I would not buy it again. for me it is uncomfortable to hold for very long while carving.. The blades are good. But limited practical use on a stick carving. It is my fall back carver in the glovebox knife. Just my experience with the knife.
Thanks buddy, you saved me some money. If you don't like it, I am sure I won't either.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks buddy, you saved me some money. If you don't like it, I am sure I won't either.
Jim, As you can see the blades do not go below the knife frame when closed. When working on a stick they dig in to my figers when grip it tight to cut into a stick. Not so bad with gloves. Also the flat chisel blade on the one I have will work its way up just enough that I have cut my hand twice. I always have to check that befor I start to us it .

Wood Wood stain Varnish Hardwood Plank
Wood Wood stain Surfboard Bicycle saddle Sports equipment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.