Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to put the cane?

If you use a cane, you understand the question. When you’re out to dinner there is not a cane rack some were nearby. A crook handle you can hang on the back of some chairs. But often it ends up on the floor. Having used a cane for a while now I have found that I prefer the shape handle generally referred to as a Derby handle. But I still had the issue where to put the D_ m thing. This was my solution.

My handles are about 1 1/8th diameter at the back of the handle were it often tapers to a point I flared it out. Allowing the cane to hang on the edge of a table with the shaft tuck under. Being right handed I hang it on the left and I do not have to hold it in my lap or hang it on a chair or go looking for it when I am done. It solved a lot of issues. I though this might be helpful to one of you.

Wood Natural material Plant Wood stain Hardwood
Product Wood Material property Hardwood Sports equipment
Table Furniture Natural material Wood Chair

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put either a rubber foot on the handle or something with traction. I usually hang it on the table or counter. I am short, my canes are about 30" to 31", I have no problem hanging.

I know it's a big problem if you have a longer cain, but it can only help if you have something with traction on the handle so it won't slide off the table or other surface.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I put either a rubber foot on the handle or something with traction. I usually hang it on the table or counter. I am short, my canes are about 30" to 31", I have no problem hanging.

I know it's a big problem if you have a longer cane but it can only help if you have something with traction on the handle so it won't slide off the table or other surface.
I had surgery last year and needed a cane during recovery. I just parked it upside down with the handle on the floor when out and about. That seemed to keep it stable enough from falling over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put rubber foot of some sort on the handle so it won't slip off the table in the restaurant or other places. I thought of carrying a hanger, but it's too inconvenient as I have to put it in the pocket. I don't want to try resting the handle on the floor, it's too dirty. I don't care how it looks, so I just put rubber footing to get the traction. here is a picture of my canes with foot:

Wood Sleeve Musical instrument Font Hardwood

Work really well. But I guess my canes are not fancy, they are self defense canes. They can hit very hard and won't break like the wood canes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked into the cane hanger, it's still too inconvenient even if it attaches to the cane. I still go with hanging on the table by putting rubber foot or foam on the handle. This is an important issue in day to day life going out to dinner and all.

This is my latest build(if you can call that as I have a different definition of "build"!!)

Street light Wood Floor Flooring Handle
Wood Tread Auto part Hardwood Bicycle part

Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part Metal

I put the foam tube around the crook part of the cane as shown. I put a rubber foot at the end to make it look better. I like the feel of the soft foam handle. The foam also hangs very good on the table.

Problem with this is if your cane is over 33", it's going to be hard as you have to make the crook handle very long to compensate for the length of the cane so the tip won't touch the floor or the base of the table.

This is really the biggest headache in carrying a cane in day to day living. You don't want to have to carry a hanger in the pocket, other than one foldable hanger, the others are just too bulky and gets in the way. Even the foldable one is quite big. Luckily I am using cane that is below 32", I just do it this way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Or just let the cane touch the ground but at an angle. That's how I do it without foam and my cane stays just fine.
It doesn't work letting it touch the ground. Been there. Even with rubber foot on the handle, if the table rocks a little(when you eat in the restaurant, you can't help moving the table a little when you cut the food and all), the stick will slip on off the table.

This is because the rubber foot at the tip have traction on the ground, it will actually push the cane off the table.

Of cause, if you do NOT put a rubber foot on the tip, that's a different story. Then it will not catch the floor and push your stick off the table when you rock the table a little. But then, you have not traction when you use the cane to walk. Believe me, I put a lot of thoughts in this. I might not do fancy carpentry, but I have a very different requirement on my canes. I experiment a lot. One time I was eating in a restaurant that had lower tables, the rubber foot at the tip touched the floor, the stick dropped 4 times during eating. Of cause if you don't move the table at all, the cane will stay!!! Try eating without moving the table a little.

Foam handle is my preference, nothing to do with traction on the table. Rubber boot is the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, you can tell I don't eat out. My dining room table doesn't move. Guess I'd just put it between my legs if I was at a place that had rocking tables then. I've done that at my American Legion hall where I have to get back up to say the Pledge Of Allegiance.
Good for you. Glad to hear that.

Ha ha, I guess I don't sit that still, I get up and play with the grand kids. So I go up and down, up and down!!!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good for you. Glad to hear that.

Ha ha, I guess I don't sit that still, I get up and play with the grand kids. So I go up and down, up and down!!!
I understand. I agree you would have to have a different handle to have the balance point you would need. One of the advantages of making my own handles. Have you considered one of the attachments that allow you to hang a cane on the edege of a table?I had one for a few years, there are a verity of shapes and sizes to choose from. This is just one I like it becouse it folds down and out of the way. And they can be moved from cane to cane.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand. I agree you would have to have a different handle to have the balance point you would need. One of the advantages of making my own handles. Have you considered one of the attachments that allow you to hang a cane on the edege of a table?I had one for a few years, there are a verity of shapes and sizes to choose from. This is just one I like it becouse it folds down and out of the way. And they can be moved from cane to cane.
Thanks

I just bought one like this last night to try out. It is easy to remove it if needed. That's the main thing, easy removable and not bulky.
Amazon.com: Classy Walking Canes CWCWR13 Cane Holder, Hard Plastic with Orange Color Surface. Walking Stick Holder : Health & Household

I have another stick I really like, but the handle is in such I have to cut it very short to hang on the table. With this, I can try this one. Also, I have the option to get a longer crook cane.
HEAVY DUTY CANE

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

I just bought one like this last night to try out. It is easy to remove it if needed. That's the main thing, easy removable and not bulky.
Amazon.com: Classy Walking Canes CWCWR13 Cane Holder, Hard Plastic with Orange Color Surface. Walking Stick Holder : Health & Household

I have another stick I really like, but the handle is in such I have to cut it very short to hang on the table. With this, I can try this one. Also, I have the option to get a longer crook cane.
HEAVY DUTY CANE
I use a crook cane for a while But I prefer the derby shape. But I did have some success hold a crook on the table by altering the bottom of the crook. I set cook on the table, at the angle I thought wood work then pieced of 3/4 wood on a table next to it and maked the angle on the handle. I cut that angle about 1/4 inch longer to give room for ajustments. the added a rubber pad to the bottom for the cut. The flat cut worked better than the round end of the cane and worked for most tables, but ones with a scert below the top would hold it out to far. It may work on your shorter crook canes. But it is trile and error.
Rectangle Font Circle Slope Pattern

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received the cane holder it's useless. First, it barely holding onto my cane that is 7/8" diameter. More importantly, it's NOT stable. Look at the picture
Hand tool Table Wood Tool Wood stain

You see the other end of the holder is lifting off the table as I rotate the handle of the cane to put more weight away from the table. If I turn the cane any more, it will fell off the table. It's a total waste of money, don't get this one.

There's no graceful way to hang the cane, the others are too bulky, this is the ONLY one that is folding and is useless.

In the picture is my latest cane that is 32" long, with the longer handle shown, I have absolutely no problem hanging on the table in the restaurant. I am loving this cane.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts