Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to put the cane?

If you use a cane, you understand the question. When you’re out to dinner there is not a cane rack some were nearby. A crook handle you can hang on the back of some chairs. But often it ends up on the floor. Having used a cane for a while now I have found that I prefer the shape handle generally referred to as a Derby handle. But I still had the issue where to put the D_ m thing. This was my solution.

My handles are about 1 1/8th diameter at the back of the handle were it often tapers to a point I flared it out. Allowing the cane to hang on the edge of a table with the shaft tuck under. Being right handed I hang it on the left and I do not have to hold it in my lap or hang it on a chair or go looking for it when I am done. It solved a lot of issues. I though this might be helpful to one of you.

Wood Natural material Plant Wood stain Hardwood
Product Wood Material property Hardwood Sports equipment
Table Furniture Natural material Wood Chair

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's a great modification to a classic form. Needs a name, though. Maybe the "Wood's Whale-tail Derby."

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put either a rubber foot on the handle or something with traction. I usually hang it on the table or counter. I am short, my canes are about 30" to 31", I have no problem hanging.

I know it's a big problem if you have a longer cain, but it can only help if you have something with traction on the handle so it won't slide off the table or other surface.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put either a rubber foot on the handle or something with traction. I usually hang it on the table or counter. I am short, my canes are about 30" to 31", I have no problem hanging.

I know it's a big problem if you have a longer cane but it can only help if you have something with traction on the handle so it won't slide off the table or other surface.
I had surgery last year and needed a cane during recovery. I just parked it upside down with the handle on the floor when out and about. That seemed to keep it stable enough from falling over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are a number of gadgets sold as "cane holders" or "cane hangers" that can be clipped onto the shaft (or, in some cases, permanently mounted) and feature a suitably "non-slip" extension. Some similar, custom design shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.
Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part Tints and shades Font
Wood Hand tool Tool Hardwood Wood stain

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put rubber foot of some sort on the handle so it won't slip off the table in the restaurant or other places. I thought of carrying a hanger, but it's too inconvenient as I have to put it in the pocket. I don't want to try resting the handle on the floor, it's too dirty. I don't care how it looks, so I just put rubber footing to get the traction. here is a picture of my canes with foot:

Wood Sleeve Musical instrument Font Hardwood

Work really well. But I guess my canes are not fancy, they are self defense canes. They can hit very hard and won't break like the wood canes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts