Walking Stick Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wouldn’t moving the holder down balance things out some?
Of cause, but the point is you cannot count on it, you always have to worry about it. It doesn't grab onto the cane securely that is 7/8" diameter where it said it can work up to 1" diameter.

I had to hang carefully to take the picture. In the restaurant, you are going to move the table when you eat, it's not going to stay. Nothing is worst than dropping the cane on the floor. I have no problem of bending, still in confined space, it's inconvenient to bend down to pick it up. Imagine someone actually needs a cane to walk, I don't think it's going to be easy to bend down to pick it up from the floor.

My suggestion is if anyone want a cane holder or hanger, get the ones that are not foldable and try it and see, forget this one. I wasted $12 on this already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alen did you try it with the handle turned inboard toward the table putting the weight of the handle over the hanger and not pulling a way from the table?
Yes, that will help a lot. BUT, the underline problem is still there, that it is not secure for 7/8" diameter. Maybe for 3/4", it's ok, but canes are usually bigger than that. This picture shows the underlining problem:
Office supplies Handwriting Line Font Material property

You can see the grip on the handle really not secure and it start slipping a little and thereby give an angle that is larger than 90deg shown in red color. To be stable, it has to be 90deg or smaller shown in blue. Even if you turn the handle inward towards the table, you still have to keep checking to make sure the grip is in all the way onto the cane.

If you are not careful, it can slip to be like this:
Watch Bicycle part Wood Electric blue Composite material

It is just not design right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a crook cane for a while But I prefer the derby shape. But I did have some success hold a crook on the table by altering the bottom of the crook. I set cook on the table, at the angle I thought wood work then pieced of 3/4 wood on a table next to it and maked the angle on the handle. I cut that angle about 1/4 inch longer to give room for ajustments. the added a rubber pad to the bottom for the cut. The flat cut worked better than the round end of the cane and worked for most tables, but ones with a scert below the top would hold it out to far. It may work on your shorter crook canes. But it is trile and error.
View attachment 28255
I know this is an old thread, But I thought I would add....
I cut my crooks back this same way and then thin the end like a crowbar. This not only lets them hang from a table or counter, But also when standing I can hang the end into my belt or waistband. That way if I'm moving around in the shop the cane is with me when I walk away. DR

21 - 31 of 31 Posts