Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I do like the style of paining t you use , brings the dog to life ,To often you end up with a flat characterless painted sculpture

That dry brush technique blends in with the transition nicely

I use the same carvers vice how do you fit yours to the vice . I suppose once I fitted a threaded bar in place its easy enough to bolt it on to the vice . but not confident enough it can stand using chisels on it to rough it out

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like the style of paining t you use , brings the dog to life ,To often you end up with a flat characterless painted sculpture

That dry brush technique blends in with the transition nicely

I use the same carvers vice how do you fit yours to the vice . I suppose once I fitted a threaded bar in place its easy enough to bolt it on to the vice . but not confident enough it can stand using chisels on it to rough it out
Hi Cobalt,

I use a airbrush to paint, blending is much easier, when brush painting in ares I wnt to blend (bleed) I wet the wood first, wait for the sheen to dissapear and then apply the colours and let them bleed together.

re the vice, I tend to carve most of the heads in hand using Knives, sometimes you come accross a hidden knot as in the case of the whippet and have to revert to chisel. I opened one of the mounting screw hles to 8mm to suit my shankking studding and mount with 8mm nut and washer, have had no probs.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I will have to use the carvers vice more it is such a verasitle tool and easy to get the right angle quickly for carving

I tend to dry paint a lot of my stuff but I am tempted to get a airbrush as the finish looks so good. So would have to look at some videos 1st .changing paints and cleaning it out puts me off a little tho so easy to pick up a brush

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to use the carvers vice more it is such a verasitle tool and easy to get the right angle quickly for carving

I tend to dry paint a lot of my stuff but I am tempted to get a airbrush as the finish looks so good. So would have to look at some videos 1st .changing paints and cleaning it out puts me off a little tho so easy to pick up a brush
Hi Cobalt,

Yes cleaning is importan with an airbrush but it is not difficult and the results are worth it, main thing as with brushes when using acryliuc - Don,t let it dry on brushes.

The best info I found was on Utube, a series of 7 short video's titled "Airbrushing Wildfowl Carvings", well worth watching/downloading .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts