Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tell us what you think about for gathering, processing, and making your projects.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I usually try to take what nature has provided and tweak it just enough to make a functional and attractive stick. Finding a reasonably straight shank (or at least a not-unreasonably crooked one) is a fun challenge. The same goes for roots; when I'm out collecting, I'll look at a root and try to see if there's a comfortable handle hiding in it. Branches as well.

·
Administrator
Retired
149 Posts
Like DW, I look at sticks every where I go usually. It is just so much fun to work a stick into a usable instrument. I realty don't care if the stick is straight or not as long as it looks ok and is strong. Of all the years I have been in woodworking, finding and working a stick is more enjoyable than anything else I do as woodworking.

Just the short time I have been here I have learned quite a bit, I never thought to use the root ball as the topper for a stick. I will from now on though.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My first wood carving was learning to carve wood spirits on walkingsticks. And it is still one of my favorite things to do. I miss going in to the woods looking for sticks. Mother nature make some nice ones. But I can order some natural sticks from places like “Kentucky Walking Sticks” and “Treeline USA”. When I had to start using a cane I started making canes because I did not like what I could buy. Others liked them and I have made them of a number of others. I use both natural and one inch exotic wood dowels for the staff or shank. As well as cut out and shaping the handles. One of the projects I have enjoyed is making cane and walking sticks for my fellow Veteran. There are a number of clubs and groups that have canes for vet programs.

·
Administrator
Retired
149 Posts
You are a good man Randy, that is admirable.
Question, what is a cane sand walking stick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are a good man Randy, that is admirable.
Question, what is a cane sand walking stick?
tell us what you think about for gathering, processing, and making your projects.
I have neuropathy in my feet so my balance is bad. The doc suggested a trekking pole instead of a cane. My friend gave me spirit stick that I put a rubber tip on and I used that for a while.
I made my first one about a year ago, neither of those sticks would have been strong enough to support my weight had I stumbled.
About 5 months ago, I decided to make my own. One thing led to another, I started reading here and other sites and being retired I had the time. I found I enjoyed it and began making them for friends, to date I have given away about 40.
I first tried working with paracord about 30 yrs ago, making duck call lanyards. Watched a few YouTube videos and learned how to make grips.
I realize my sticks are rustic compared to some on here, but mine are functional, and since I’m giving them away, so far no complaint.
I’m enjoying gathering, sanding and making grips, it keeps me active in retirement and has improved my health and allows me to spend more time outside enjoying Mother Nature.
And I’m helping people, including some people who need assistance.

·
Administrator
Retired
149 Posts
Randy, in my case it would be both lol. If I didn't proof read, y'all would think I am crazy. Lol

Mauled, I understand the feet, mine are like that at times. I want to learn how to use power cord on my hikers for grips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a retired artist and have found more satisfaction with 3 dimensional art over 2 dimensional. I will post my Flickr site but only hope it turns out accessible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are really good, beautiful art. Thanks for being patient to show us you art.
Finally I got something to work for me online! Now if I can get my pension transferred properly to the new site I will be in good shape! :rolleyes:
I think computer online related things are made difficult on purpose for senior citizens in hopes of us just giving up. If not for my tech savvy son-in-law I probably wouldn't even be here and able to post after my previous laptop crashed.
If not for him I'd be back to paying my bills by writing checks, licking envelopes and buying stamps! :rolleyes:
Anyway Thanks BigJim! I appreciate the positive response.

·
Administrator
Retired
149 Posts
I have loved finding and working sticks for a good while. Reading how some of you find and make your sticks just make we want to get out in the woods and find a few more soon.

I just pulled the trigger on a battery powered sawzall so harvesting the sticks is going to be much easier. It was getting tough for me to cut one down with a hand type saw.

·
Administrator
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim - if you have an old shoulder harness for a weed-whacker, it would make a good harness for the sawzall.

·
Administrator
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going over to the beach tomorrow to scope out some Sea Grape material. (now that I know what to look for).

oh, I'll be driving through the small town of Christmas, Florida - so I'll give a shout-out to you guys as I pass through.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts