Walking Stick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finally I got something to work for me online! Now if I can get my pension transferred properly to the new site I will be in good shape! :rolleyes:
I think computer online related things are made difficult on purpose for senior citizens in hopes of us just giving up. If not for my tech savvy son-in-law I probably wouldn't even be here and able to post after my previous laptop crashed.
If not for him I'd be back to paying my bills by writing checks, licking envelopes and buying stamps! :rolleyes:
Anyway Thanks BigJim! I appreciate the positive response.
Pension transferred correctly! I'm in computer Heaven! LOL!

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
at 6'4" i couldn't find canes over 37" and most were cheesy aluminum
i make my own canes 40" long with a slightly modified derby style handle
added a little hook to hang on most anything, but mostly my arm when digging thru my wallet
That is how I started making canes. I made my first cane ( I am not tall ) But a friend who is your hight saw it and ask me to make him one because he could not find a nice wooden cane to fit him. He told freinds and I think the fist half dozon I made were 38 to 41 inches.

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
Great looking canes, Ogre. I made a custom cane for a guy a while ago who was 6' 2". To test it for comfort, I had to stand on a 6" cement block which, along with my 5'8", brought me into the correct height range.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Great looking canes, Ogre. I made a custom cane for a guy a while ago who was 6' 2". To test it for comfort, I had to stand on a 6" cement block which, along with my 5'8", brought me into the correct height range.
You are the same height I am.

I never knew how to get the right height for the sticks, Thanks for that Randy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This work as a general rule. If a cane is to tall It will cause shoulder issues and to short will affect your back. This give a little lift letting most stand straight using it.
that's the same method i use. my brother at 6'8" uses the same 40" cane i use.
he has ape arms or maybe i have tiny t-rex arms 😂
it may also be a little short for him as i gave him one of mine on loan, 8 yrs ago
i typically have to cut 6" or more off anything i make to give it away
anyone has a tape measure, it's a lot easier than standing on a block

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dad taught me that rule at an early age, I think I was just 10 when he let me take hold of a hand saw. I remember him having a crosscut saw and a ripping saw and showing me the difference. Sadly soon afterwards he sold the farm and two sections of inherited acreage and moved to the city. There dad had two full time jobs and little time for me but I never lost interest in farm life and the way of things done on the homestead! My sister and I often remanence and regret our kids and grandkids missing out on life on the farm.

·
Super Moderator
1,011 Posts
Reminds me of something that happened back in high school. We had a new family move in down the road from us. A doctor and his wife and two sons. They were from Syracuse, if I remember correctly.
Dad, my brother, and I were at the back end of the field cutting wood when the eldest son came up to us with a board in his hand. They were putting up a mailbox and needed it cut to a thick pencil line drawn on it, but they didn't have a saw. The chainsaw Dad was using was a bit of an overkill so I popped the board on the splitting block and set the blade of the axe I was using just outside the line. Lifted the board and dropped it sharply and the excess wood came off nice. I got out my jackknife and brought the board down to the line then handed it back to him.
The look on his face! You could see he was thinking "What the hell kind of place have we moved to?"

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
I still miss the country life, so many don't know what they are missing by not having the country life.

Life was hard but simple, and food was food and so far above todays food it is unreal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Now that I'm 70 and retired, I'm wondering how my grandpa at the same age managed his farm, harvesting wheat, corn and sorghum along with raising cattle and chickens! I remember one Christmas Eve as a child when we were ready to open presents. I asked "where's grandpa?" Grandma said he was putting hay bails in the loft and would be in soon.
Today is no way like yesterday!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm sure I've told this story before. I started making walking sticks and canes when I realized I was going to need one. I have a strong aversion to aluminum walking aids and like working with wood so a wooden one it was going to be. My first one was uglier than a mud fence but I had fun making it so I tried again, actually several times. until I made one I liked (a decent cardigan style cane is harder to design and make than it looks). I started selling them as a way to generate some extra income and give some away as well.
These days I probably make more crutches than I do canes, it just worked out that way.

·
Administrator
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Rodney - at one time, I was going to make myself a pair of crutches when I first broke my foot. (and 13 years later, it is still giving me fits). but, alas, I never got into it. I did collect some reference photos. This is an example pair that I was going to make and wrap brass wire around the part where the rivet is just for an "embellishment" and also give it an aged and "distressed" patina. But, as life has it, it is easier to reach in the closet and get out the aluminum ones.
you could probably make a decent pair out of a six foot 2x4 of nice walnut or whatever your favorite wood is.
Wood Fence Tints and shades Symmetry Pattern

Brown Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Horseshoe Door

Brown Wood Wood stain Tints and shades Natural material

·
Registered
51 Posts
I never have figured out why the top u shaped part went to pointing up instead of down as was with some homemade ones in early history. I guess so you don’t slide off but I always thought your cupped armpit would be much more comfortable with it pointing down.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.