Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Lots of wildlife are visting frampton marsh nature reserve near me at the moment.
mainly frm Sibera and lapland such as brent geese/flocks of lapwings /twites snow bunting nand lapland bunting. The useual birds are there such as peregrine,merlins and hen harriers.
Its bitter cold there with the wnd , but suppose its warmer then sibera
You must get large flocks migrating south over the pond.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Here in Indiana we have one of the largest concentrations of sand hill cranes come through in spring and fall on their way from the artic tundra breeding grounds, They settle in the Jasper/Pulaski Fish and Wildlife area for a few weeks till the cold weather pushes them out.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked out the site mark very large . the sandhill crane would make a good topper with a antler tip used as its beak ifind a bird with lond necks make a good tooper the transition from the topper to the shanks is always easy on the eye .whereas birds of prey dont always sit so well because of the transition/

·
Registered
969 Posts
Here in Indiana we have one of the largest concentrations of sand hill cranes come through in spring and fall on their way from the artic tundra breeding grounds, They settle in the Jasper/Pulaski Fish and Wildlife area for a few weeks till the cold weather pushes them out.
My wife and I were able to visit Jasper/Pulaski once during the crane migration. Quite remarkable seeing the fields fill up with the birds as they returned to roost for the night.

Made me wonder what it was like up north on both the Door and Leelanau peninsulas when the passenger pigeon were still alive. I've read that there were millions, and the air was so thick with them that kids with sticks would just swat them down for dinner.

As I understand it, most of the geese I see around me are no longer migratory. While I still see some V's flying south, I've read that what overwinters here are no longer true Canadian geese. They are the descendants of geese bred for shooting practice back in the 1920s in Georgia. They have gradually spread, and because they so strongly resemble the Canadian geese, they are still protected by the migratory bird laws. Pretty much a nuisance. Various parks get covered with their droppings.

The only other big gathering of birds during the past few years have been crows. A flock of many hundreds would gather in the fall. A city park near me would fill with enough that it would be difficult to sleep because of all their calls. Unfortunately, being very social birds, the gathered flock caught West Nile virus, and for a few years there were most none to be seen.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here in the Illawarra Region of NSW we have a wide variety of bird life. We are luck enough to have a large reserve at our back door and currently the sulphur crested cockatoos are visiting in large numbers. At dawn and dusk they raise a screeching you wouldn't believe. Spring and summer also bring out the snakes and lizards. As a member of the local firies I have recently caught and relocated several red belly black snakes (venomous) and diamond pythons . Blue tongue lizards are common as well.

Can video be uploaded to the forum as I have some nice video of the cockies? I think there is a 20mb limit.

Anyway attached is a picture of a diamond python we caught in an aviary after it had breakfasted on the poor chap's finches.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unusual creatures the cockatoo woud be a interesting topper? and the lizard , wonder if it could be carved clambering up the middle of a shank? or even curled round it with a thumb stick topper?

A carver here always signed his work with a church mouse on his work the name eludes me at the moment just a senior moment again, but at least i know where my whiskey mac is

·
Registered
217 Posts
A creature that I have always thought would make a good carving project is the Leaf Tailed Gecko. It is often photographed well camouflaged against bark and would fit beautifully on a stick in slight relief. Pics attached

Reptile Wood Iguania Scaled reptile Trunk

Brown Plant Wood Tree Trunk

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts