Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So naturally, like in knife making you get the odd question ….can you make me a sword? or trench knife...or ….something in that line...I found out that in walking stick world its, can you make me a wizard staff? Wellllll sure my little Merlin!
clear.png
what kind of power would you like it to have?
clear.png
….so once this guy got the ok from me, 30 mins later he was at my door with a blue crystal ball the size of a baseball...
clear.png
can you put this on top as a power crystal? YUP! So it began, no clue how to make this and this guy had no idea of what he wants his staff to look like. but he wants it 6 feet tall
clear.png
. After researching some design on line at witches R Us, I decided to go with earth elements....cool....but what about the look of the staff? the top half is easy, roots and crystal ball....but what about the staff? couple of days ago a buddy talked to me about Diamond willow wood used for walking sticks ….I looked in to that and funny thing its also the preferred wood for witches and wizard stuff. but since I dint have any on hand I decided to make a fake Diamond willow staff shhhhhh!
clear.png
so off to lowes to get some wood, 4 feet 2 inch dowel and 1 1/2 inch dowel,
cut to size, glued and reinforced. give it some shape and trace out the diamonds …. Next it Dremel time!
Once done repeat process...
Now add wood texture to the wood...
clear.png
and burn it to see it pop...also so that I can see the spots I missed...
clear.png

Next step is sculpting the top piece....so stay tune more to come!
clear.png

Building Wood Engineering Machine Tool
Wood Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Bumper Automotive tire
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Natural material
Wood Flooring Hardwood Beam Artifact
Building Plant Wood Window House
Wood Wall Gas Tints and shades Engineering
Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Hardwood Beam

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Looking pretty cool so far.

Had a coworker ask me about making him a staff like Gandalf's from Hobbit and LOTR. I gave him a price estimate and he seemed interested but hasn't mentioned it again. Oh well...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking pretty cool so far. Had a coworker ask me about making him a staff like Gandalf's from Hobbit and LOTR. I gave him a price estimate and he seemed interested but hasn't mentioned it again. Oh well...
Thank you Dana, That's my other question...how much to charge? How do you guys go about on to pricing a stick?

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I get pretty much all my materials for free (just find them up in the woods) so I basically charge by how long it took to make. A sanding sponge and a lick of poly or oil doesn't really add much to it in the end.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Most of my materials are free too. I generally figure $10 for materials unless I'm buying wood then I add the cost of the wood to it too. The rest is time.

I spent a bunch of time on Etsy looking at prices of work that I considered to be similar in quality to mine and got a rough idea of prices that way too.

In your case I'd look at what other carvers are charging. I would consider your work to be more carving (art) than hiking stick (practical item). Art is worth more.

If you start selling on a regular basis don't forget to figure in the fees for whatever venue you use and shipping if there is any.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well from what i can see on the web regarding wizard staff, not many are actually made the way i am making it. They are mostly resin and latex molded, and the ones that are all wood are mostly a stick with a glued gem on top...not much of creative juices where flowing when they where made. but price range any where between 170.00 to 480.00 more expesive are the FX one. ( resin and latex) I contacted the client and he agreeded to pay 280.00 for the one im making. so guess its in the ball park.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wood Sky Electricity Wall Gas
Wood Gas Tints and shades Facade Art
Wood Building material Gas Natural material Composite material
Wood Hand tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Tool
In the paint process...I think my color scheme is to dark for Diamond willow...
clear.png
But lets say it was chard on the way out of ANOR!
clear.png

Still have to figure out the crystal ball holder, planning on creating a hand shape root that will hold the crystal.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.