Son to be polite
Take your hat off
When you walk inside
But the winds of change
They fill the air
And you can't set your hat down
Just anywhere

And to quote Forrest Gump:

And that's all I have to say about that.
I like it!

·
Registered
969 Posts
To add to the list of gentleman's accessories, Spats!

I recall from my old scout's manual the pic of a fellow happily striding along with his ankles enclosed w. spats. And, as several articles have mentioned "The last time walking sticks were popular was when Fred Astaire..." Many pics of Fred w. cane, spats, tails, etc. I sincerely doubt I will ever wear a top hat. A fedora, maybe. But I would consider spats.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To add to the list of gentleman's accessories, Spats!

I recall from my old scout's manual the pic of a fellow happily striding along with his ankles enclosed w. spats. And, as several articles have mentioned "The last time walking sticks were popular was when Fred Astaire..." Many pics of Fred w. cane, spats, tails, etc. I sincerely doubt I will ever wear a top hat. A fedora, maybe. But I would consider spats.
When you get all "Duded" up make sure you post a pick!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if walking sticks were in style again? I don't mean for medical purposes, but just as a stylish part of your wardrobe? Back in the day, no well dressed man would leave the house without his stick! ------- Well, maybe it's because we all wear jeans and tee shirts now, and the fashionable walking stick just looks out of place.
Don't hear me wrong -- I really don't want to wear a suit and tie everywhere either, I get enough of that in my work! But if we could just sneak the stick back into fashion without appearing disabled or bearing a weapon.

Just saying!
I grew up carrying a stick since I was 16.

Favorite show on TV was Bat Masterson ("He wore a cane and Derby hat....")! Go figure!

When asked if I always carried a stick, the answer was yes, of course I always carried it, and sometimes I even needed it!! Teddy Roosevelt ("Speak softly and carry...") and little Alex (Clockwork Orange) convinced me!

No one really notices, and you can do as you like! Bring back the style be being 'stylish' with your cane!

I have done that... being the first to carry without disability.. Before you know it, the natives were all carrying broken off broom handles and such... *__-

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Love the hat gives a air of distinction

Idea of a casual smart well dressed gentleman with and walking stick like the idea real polished finish

Poriot the fictional character by Agatha Christi always carried a stick,1 had a pair of small binoculars fitted to it the other was a silver swans head very stylish

Most people here with the hiking pole dont just use the shank as a walking aid but as a extension of there personality, lots of dog toppers and wild fowl.

But cringed when i was asked to make a father christmas one? far to twee

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I see you guys resurrected this old post! But that's OK -- it's a good subject to contemplate and hope for! I carry a stick much more often than I use to -- of course some times I need to!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
just thinking whats sort of hat would comliment you with that stick

hope not a baseball hat worn back to front. with jeans barley hanging on your hips

How about a ten gallon western style dont know what they call it but this is going back something Hpalong Csssidy would wear old very old black and white western Childerns old cinerma program

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
just thinking whats sort of hat would comliment you with that stick

hope not a baseball hat worn back to front. with jeans barley hanging on your hips
How about a ten gallon western style dont know what they call it but this is going back something Hpalong Csssidy would wear old very old black and white western Childerns old cinerma program
OK -- I'll bite, which stick are you talking about?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
not taking the micky this time but all the people here

still would like to see you in a ten gallon hat lol just cant imagine you in a bowler or mayby i can ooophs just fell of the chair laughing

and yes i do wear a hat when i go travelling just to keep the sun of me

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
well rad i was thing of you

but dont tell me you dont know Hopalong Cassidy it was a american short film made for childerns sat. morning film club over here in the 1950.just dont tell everybody i siai that, i will deny it lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Hat stories (true): had a big Marine buddy from west Texas. After the corps, one evening he went to a bar that had advertised a free drink for anyone who wore a cowboy hat.

He wore his Marine Corps ball cap there. When he asked for his free drink, the barkeep said no, that he didn't have a cowboy hat. My friend lifted up the barkeep against the wall, and said "where I come from, this is a cowboy cap." He got his free drink.

Lots of country boys prefer ball caps, but in my generation the bills were formed in a stylish curve and we never wore them in a goofy sideways or backwards orientation.

Maybe not too funny now, but at a younger age it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
not taking the micky this time but all the people here
still would like to see you in a ten gallon hat lol just cant imagine you in a bowler or mayby i can ooophs just fell of the chair laughing
and yes i do wear a hat when i go travelling just to keep the sun of me
Are you sipping the whiskey out of your cane again? :)
I do wear a ball cap, but also have a western style hat as well as something warm for this time of year. No ten gallon hat, maybe CAS down in his part of the country has one of those hanging on a nail!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Have a good felt Stetson but haven't worn it in 30 years, back when we lived in Houston and went out two-steppin'.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

just the usual single malt its for medicinal purposes only, hic

well well rad i would expect you to doff your tiffler when we meet ? and of coarse would expect you to be wearing your best kecks (old english names)

I to wear a western style hat when on holiday like the wide brim keeps the sun out of your eyes abd they do look smart well some of them,

You do need a hat when in the med during summer and you would be crazy not to wear something in the valley of the kings its well into the 40 centigrade there

I would love to see someone wearing one so how about it CAS

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
at last some one as young as me cas your a tropper not sure which one

but i rember them , my god dont tell anyone. There was some old films on over here roy rogers eh that going back some eh and Audy MUrphy understan he was the most decorated soldier of the 2nd world war over there

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.