Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy ask me about the possibility of making a one-piece yellow birch Cardigan stick about a year ago. He'd seen the yellow birch cane with the crook-ish handle I did a few years ago and was curious if I could do a Cardigan. I told him I had my eye on a yellow birch tree which looked like it might have some one-piece canes in it and that I'd keep him in mind. I cut the tree last November and it had four nice one-piece blanks in it (as well as several shanks) I started on this stick yesterday and did some more today.Coming along nicely. The original blank, then marked for cutting the handle, then the stick so far

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Nice looking stick dww2. I like the cardigan handle stick. I have not done a all one piece one. Well done.

Reactions: dww2

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy. Really happy with it and the guy who had asked about it has said he'll buy it. It has had its first coat of poly. Some stunning grain and color. Hopefully, I'll have some better pics tomorrow, a bit cloudy here today.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
That is a great looking stick dww2. The grain and color really make it stand out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Randy. I really love the way it turned out. The guy I made it for likes it too, which is even better. Apparently, he is also a cane/stick maker. I encouraged him to join the forum. He showed me a couple of pic of ones he'd done and they were pretty sweet.

That yellow birch tree yielded four blanks for one-piece sticks and several shanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Dana, I'm starting to get around the forum a bit now. Yellow birch is a nice wood to work with, being a fairly hard wood with a beautiful colour. Nice job on the stick. What are the defining characteristics of a cardigan? Not familiar with that term wrt sticks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the handle shape. Apparently it is sometimes called a Llandovery stick, named for the area in Wales where it originated. A very popular style among UK stick makers. Mine is a bit chunky compared to some, but still really happy with it, as was the guy who bought it.

Yellow birch is probably my favorite wood to work with. For sticks where the bark is left on, that is. Strong and just an amazing range of colors.

A few Cardigans made by other makers:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
They are comfortible cane handles to use. I have done a few of the for the cane for vets and one I did for a freind who breeds horses.

Attachments

Reactions: dww2

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are beautiful, Randy. especially the one with the horse head.

I'm taking another stab at a one piece Cardigan, out of walnut this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts